Proud to be part of the Emerald Isle, Kerry is committed to ‘keeping it green’
The Kingdom of Kerry has no shortage of both greenery and green initiatives.
Kerry Convention Bureau is constantly striving to work with our members to innovate and improve on new ways to be greener than before, pushing to bring sustainability to the forefront of the industry and at the heart of what we do.
Why Kerry for Green Events
Proud to be part of the Emerald Isle, Kerry is committed to ‘Keeping it Green’, putting the focus on protecting the environment and developing a green economy.
We are home to the Siamsa Tíre, Ireland’s first accredited Green Theatre and Events Centre and are committed to working with our industry to promote sustainability within the MICE industry. Our objective is to make having a green meeting easy!
The GDS-Index is a collaborative business initiative created to help Destinations, Convention Bureaux, Event Planners and Suppliers drive the adoption and recognition of sustainable practices in their regions and in the global events industry. It aims to bring destinations together to benchmark and improve the social and environmental performance of their respective meetings industries by highlighting best practice and promoting responsible business tourism.
To be considered for inclusion, MICE destinations from around the world complete a comprehensive annual submission process and are assessed on factors such as the environment, social indexes, supplier performance and the convention bureau itself. The index is then used by event planners as a resource when searching for sustainable destinations in which to hold events.
Kerry made its first entry on to the Global Destination Sustainability Index (GDS-Index) in 2018 and in 2019, was delighted to be ranked #20. In just one year, Kerry moved up 17 places on the Index and took out the #1 position on the Most Improved Destination leader board.
Fáilte Ireland Meet In Ireland Convention Bureaux partnership of Dublin, Shannon, Galway, Cork and Kerry was also recognised with the 2019 inaugural GDS-Index Improver Award being presented to Ireland. In the past, the award has only been given to individual cities, but in recognition of the overall improvement from all of Ireland’s Regional Convention Bureaux, the award was given at a national level to recognise the efforts of the entire country with Meet In Ireland commended as a great example of regional collaboration.
Kerry is extremely proud to now be ranked alongside key global MICE destinations including Gothenburg, Copenhagen, Glasgow, Sydney, Melbourne, Dublin, Galway, Helsinki, Stockholm and Brussels.
A typical five-day conference with 2,500 attendees consumes up to…
It aims to bring destinations together to benchmark and improve the social and environmental performance of their respective meetings industries by highlighting best practice and promoting responsible business tourism.
To be considered for inclusion, MICE destinations from around the world complete a comprehensive annual submission process and are assessed on factors such as the environment, social indexes, supplier performance and the convention bureau itself.
The index is then used by event planners as a resource when searching for sustainable destinations in which to hold events.
A typical five-day conference with 2,500 attendees consumes up to…
Sustainable Destination Policy
Working closely in partnership with the National Tourist Development Body; Fáilte Ireland, we share the same mandate, mission, values and vision when it comes to sustainability. KCB wants to work with our suppliers and community to make Kerry a sustainable destination for MICE events and tourism as a whole.
Further information on our Destination Sustainability strategy can be obtained by emailing info@
Green Procurement Policy
Kerry Convention Bureau’s Green Procurement Policy is a process where we seek to source goods, services or works with a reduced environmental impact. We commit to promoting green procurement, in order to support our Sustainable Destination strategy and to align with both Ireland’s environmental and wider sustainable development objectives and the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals.
We endeavour to minimise the environmental ‘footprints’ of our procurement activities by purchasing products and services that cause minimal adverse environmental impacts while offering high quality products and services at competitive prices.
Keeping It Green Initiatives
Here are some key ‘Keep It Green’ initiatives, practical suggestions and a handy event checklist to consider employing when planning your meeting in Kerry:
Support the Local Community
- Food Cloud will take donations of excess food from events, who will collect the food on site at no extra cost and arrange for distribution to appropriate charities.
- Have something that could potentially be a raw material for another business such as cardboard boxes, wooden pallets etc? List it on Smile Exchange to reduce landfill waste and further a circular economy.
Food & Drink
- Vegetarian and vegan options are more environmentally friendly and often tend to be cheaper, so make sure to incorporate some meat free options into your menu
- Tap water is a sustainable choice with no transportation or waste packaging. Use glasses and water jugs over single use plastic bottles
- Opt for local, seasonal and organic produce
- Choose ethical, eco and fair-trade options
- Select local catering companies that have environmental credentials
- Due to the close proximity of our Convention Centre, hotels and venues to each other within each of our destinations, delegates are able to easily walk between locations, without the need for dedicated transport
- Many hotel properties offer complimentary bike hire and our destinations are extremely easy to navigate by bike
Venue & Accommodation
- Encourage delegates to stay in close proximity to the event venue
- Choose accommodation providers that have an environmental certification
- Choose an event venue that has an environmental certification
- Ensure that accommodation options are within walking distance to the event or have good public transportation links
Purchasing & Waste
- Think Reduce-Reuse-Recycle for event materials and communications
- Keep it digital where you can; electronic invitations, registration, follow ups etc
The EOE Network is a vibrant association of outdoor education practitioners and academics from around Europe, with other delegates attending from across the globe. The three-day conference reflected that mix with practitioner case studies, practical workshops and academic presentations.
If you’re looking for a venue that cares for the environment as much as you do, Kerry has a range of venues with environmental and sustainability policies that will assist you to reduce your event’s carbon footprint.
Make an easy and well-informed choice with our list of Green Meeting suppliers who are as passionate about the environment and sustainability as you are.