Proud to be part of the Emerald Isle, Kerry is committed to ‘keeping it green’
The Kingdom of Kerry has no shortage of both greenery and green initiatives.
Kerry Convention Bureau is constantly striving to work with our members to innovate and improve on new ways to be greener than before, pushing to bring sustainability to the forefront of the industry and at the heart of what we do.
Why Kerry for Green Meetings
Proud to be part of the Emerald Isle, Kerry is committed to ‘Keeping it Green’, putting the focus on protecting the environment and developing a green economy.
We are home to the Siamsa Tíre, Ireland’s first accredited Green Theatre and Events Centre and are committed to working with our industry to promote sustainability within the MICE industry. Our objective is to make having a green meeting easy!
Global Destination Sustainability Index
At the end of 2018, Kerry was delighted to make its first entry onto the Global Destination Sustainability Index (GDS-Index). The GDS-Index is a collaborative business initiative created to help Destinations, Convention Bureaux, Event Planners and Suppliers drive the adoption and recognition of sustainable practices in their regions and in the global events industry.
It aims to bring destinations together to benchmark and improve the social and environmental performance of their respective meetings industries by highlighting best practice and promoting responsible business tourism.
We are extremely proud to now be ranked alongside key global MICE destinations including Dublin, Houston, Sydney, Kyoto, Barcelona, Geneva, Helsinki, Stockholm and Frankfurt.
A typical five-day conference with 2,500 attendees consumes up to…
Keeping It Green Initiatives
Here are some key ‘Keep It Green’ initiatives, practical suggestions and a handy event checklist to consider employing when planning your meeting in Kerry:
Support the Local Community
- Food Cloud will take donations of excess food from events, who will collect the food on site at no extra cost and arrange for distribution to appropriate charities.
- Have something that could potentially be a raw material for another business such as cardboard boxes, wooden pallets etc? List it on Smile Exchange to reduce landfill waste and further a circular economy.
- Due to the close proximity of our Convention Centre, hotels and venues to each other within each of our destinations, delegates are able to easily walk between locations, without the need for dedicated transport
- Many hotel properties offer complimentary bike hire and our destinations are extremely easy to navigate by bike
Venue & Accommodation
- Encourage delegates to stay in close proximity to the event venue
- Choose accommodation providers that have an environmental certification
- Choose an event venue that has an environmental certification
- Ensure that accommodation options are within walking distance to the event or have good public transportation links
Food & Drink
- Vegetarian and vegan options are more environmentally friendly and often tend to be cheaper, so make sure to incorporate some meat free options into your menu
- Tap water is a sustainable choice with no transportation or waste packaging. Use glasses and water jugs over single use plastic bottles
- Opt for local, seasonal and organic produce
- Choose ethical, eco and fair-trade options
- Select local catering companies that have environmental credentials
Purchasing & Waste
- Think Reduce-Reuse-Recycle for event materials and communications
- Keep it digital where you can; electronic invitations, registration, follow ups etc
If you’re looking for a venue that cares for the environment as much as you do, Kerry has a range of venues with environmental and sustainability policies that will assist you to reduce your event’s carbon footprint.
Make an easy and well-informed choice with our list of Green Meeting suppliers who are as passionate about the environment and sustainability as you are.